Nowadays, we are living in the modern world where the necessity of the internet is very essential. You can set up the internet connection easily by calling the service provider and connecting a router or modem to the entire system. But whenever you have to deal with your tiny house, there are very little things to consider.
So how to get a fast internet connection in your tiny house?
It is very easy to set up an internet connection if a tiny house is stationary.
Like any other regular house, you have to contact the local internet provider for the setting up of the internet in your tiny house. But if you have to travel with the tiny house, the perfect way for getting the internet is by using the cellular data plan added with one of the main carriers. And you can use a smartphone hotspot device for broadcasting the signal to other devices. In today’s article, we will figure out more about internet connection in a tiny house. So, let’s have a very good look at this.
Internet Options for a tiny house (Cable, Wireless, Satellite & More)
If you are a dweller of a tiny house, you may have problems getting reliable but fast internet service to your little house. Many tiny house dwellers often have jobs that are location independent. That means they work from their home. For it, a strong internet connection is vital. Many of the dwellers have to use a traditional cable for internet connection. And some of the dwellers use an entirely wireless basis internet connection. City dwellers have numerous internet options, but it is not any solution for you. As the farther you become close to a big city, it will ruin your flavor of the tiny house. You will not be able to stay the way you want. If your neighbor has an internet connection and if you live in their back-yard, you can easily share the service with them. But if you are not, and for all other options, read on.
So, now we will be focusing on some of the most common options for internet connection in a tiny house. We will also mention the ‘pros and cons’ of each of them.
Wired Cable Internet:
For those who are living in towns or in any residential areas, the best option is a traditional cable hookup. It is the only perfect and affordable way for the fastest service on the internet. Even if, for those who don’t need phone service or TV, a traditional cable will provide the best way to get in touch with internet access.
In your local areas, larger national companies will definitely exist. You may take the service of them. And additionally, if you don’t have any access to the larger company’s, local cable companies will be able to make your tiny house get access to the internet. But you may face troubles in getting the service because of some legal liability issues to hook up cable connection to any temporary houses like your tiny house. In that case, a local company will be helpful because they are less worried about legal issues. In general, they are happy to work with you.
Cable Internet Pros:
- It allows you with the fastest download or upload speeds.
- Usually have no data limit.
- Monthly cost is comparatively low.
- Cable Cons:
- Service is not available in remote areas or rural locations.
- Large companies can provide you very bad customer service.
- May have liability issues to hook up services in the temporary tiny houses.
Here are some recommendations for the Best Wired Cable for Internet Connection In Tiny Houses:
If you have not been able to get a physical cable to the tiny house, the next perfect option is for you to use the cellular data plan. And set up the wireless hot-spot in your cell phone. But it may be costly to use it. Besides, speeds and coverage are not always reliable. Hence it is a decent option if you want the internet at your tiny house.
Wireless Internet Connections Pros:
- Internet service is available in areas where mobile data service is available.
- Can use an existing mobile carrier with the combination of phone or internet at the same monthly payment.
- Some cellular data offer cheap packages with unlimited data plans.
- Wireless Cons:
- Data is more costly(per GB), particularly for streaming video users.
- Data cost is tiered pricing (pay on per GB), as well as limits, are not always flexible. This sometimes may tend to additional charges.
- The Internet is not fast enough in comparison with cable connection.
Here Are Our Recommendations For The Best Tools You May Need To Get Wireless Internet Connection:
If your tiny house has no access to physical cables or mobile data internet, because of the remote location of your house, the only option is available. The last resort is satellite internet. Living in remote rural areas or in the mountains, this may be the only way to get access to the internet connection. Although satellite internet has improved rapidly over the recent years, up until this point, the speed is not satisfactory in the comparison with the cable and 4G mobile internet. For that reason, it may be frustrating if you want to enjoy streaming videos for entertainment purposes. But as I mentioned before, it is the final solution for you where the internet is out of imagination. There are lots of companies available to provide you the service. Famous companies such as Exede and Hughes Net are the best choices for you. They provide multiple types of package services in your area. So, you can choose a suitable package plan.
Satellite Internet Pros:
- Available in almost all areas of the entire world, where cable connection and WiFi will never reach.
- Prices are reasonable for data limits.
- Satellite Cons:
- Give slower speeds in comparison with a cable or 4G Internet connection.
- Less reliable than cable connection or mobile data.
Here Are Our Recommendations For The Best Tools You May Need To Get Satellite Internet Connection:
Shared internet with a neighbor:
When you shift to the tiny house, you should be aware of your surroundings including the neighborhood. If your neighbor has an internet connection, you may be able to get apart from it. Although you may not be able to get access to the WiFi signals, by using the cable connection, you can easily use the internet. But if your house is adjacent to the wifi signals, you don’t need to add cables. So, it is a better way to get an internet connection in your tiny home. The most reliable way is to string a cable from the router or modem of the main house to your tiny house. And then set up your own wireless network for the entire tiny house. In this way, you don’t have to worry about the speed of the internet connection. You will be getting a very strong internet connection unless anything goes wrong with the function of the main house modem.
Shared Internet Pros:
- Firstly, it needs no new service charge and therefore no additional costs are required.
- Secondly, it will save your money as you are sharing an existing internet connection.
- Therefore it is the cheapest and easiest solution if you have availability.
- Shared Internet Cons:
- Availability is possible only if your neighbor’s house has an internet connection.
- Internet speed depends on the host.
- It will require a very long cable connection between the neighborhood and your tiny house for the direct link.
- If you are a heavy user, then the sharing connection service must upgrade for more speed.
Thus, different internet options are available according to your location. So you should always check about your neighborhood for hosting the internet. And search for local internet providers. If appropriate then you may contact big companies for providing you internet services.Though if you want to live in a tiny house, you must have to face some challenges. But remember, there are options available always. You will definitely be able to get in touch with the services you want while you are living in a tiny house if you can add lifestyle modifications.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Question: How do you get the Internet in a tiny house?
Answer: Two main options are available for you as-
- Use a cellular data package and connect it with other devices.
- Purchase a purpose-built hotspot of mobile that allows a 4G-enabled SIM card. And it works as a wifi router which will allow all of the devices to connect with it.
- Question: Can you get WiFi through satellite?
Answer: Satellite internet is faster than the DSL providers or even better than dial-up. But it is not faster than the cable internet connection. And, it will depend on the satellite internet plan which you use. As an example, you may have to get an expensive package for getting up to 100 Mbps internet connection.
- Question- What is the best satellite Internet service for rural areas?
Answer: For rural areas, the best services are-
- Best satellite internet-Viasat
- Best DSL internet-CenturyLink
- Best fixed wireless-Rise Broadband
- Best mobile wireless-Verizon Wireless.
- Question- Can you get high-speed internet with satellite?
Answer: Satellite internet is a perfect option when there is no availability of DSL, fiber, or cable internet. It will provide you with high speeds up to 100 Mbps yet it is a very expensive service.
There are so many different options available to get access to the internet connection in a tiny house. Anyway, what choices you will make, may depend upon your situation. You have to plan carefully before getting an internet connection. If you are a casual user or if you stream videos occasionally, in that case, a cellular data plan will be the best solution. However, if you are heavy gamers or streamers, an unlimited data plan is the only option. On the other side, if you are outside broadband coverage and mobile network coverage, then the only way to be connected with the internet is satellite services. Luckily, there are lots of options available to fulfill your needs. And there are packages available according to your budget. So, you don’t have to worry about internet connection in your sweet tiny house.