When you’re starting to design your tiny house, you have to be concerned about each square inch. You have to make the perfect customizable decision because you get only limited space to deal with it. That’s why the choice will be implied in the future for comfort. So, as like other dwellers of tiny houses, you may have confusion with the dilemma of either building stairs or ladder. The choice is ultimately yours but we will discuss all of them in this article. You will get all the essential information about the stairs and ladders by reading this article.
We also expect this article will help you to choose the best between them.
The ladders and stairs are aesthetically and functionally two different things. They both have individual pros and cons.
Importantly, you must have to build any one of them for your tiny house. So, let’s jump on this topic without any delay.
What’s the major difference between the stairs and the ladder?
Firstly, stairs are the bridge with long vertical distance by partitioning it into smaller upward distances. On the other hand,
The ladder is the inclined set of steps. You have to select anyone for your tiny house.
We have discussed every detail point by point, as a result, you will be able to decide which one is working best for you.
So, no need to worry about picking and choosing a particular one. In order to choose an option, you should keep the below seven things in consideration.
- Safety purpose.
- Availability of the space.
- Design style.
- Versatility of the tiny house.
- Physical capability of the tiny house.
- Way of climbing up.
Now, let’s figure out tiny house stairs VS ladders.
Why to Choose Ladders?
- Space-Saving: Typically stairs are wide and bulky particularly when it’s built according to regulation size. It means the requirements of railing and width.
The ladder will give you more valuable spaces in various dimensions for a tiny house.
Besides, you can keep it on the side when you do not use it.
- Versatility: A ladder is an appropriate choice for your tiny house regardless of style or design. You will be able to add a ladder because of the narrow and thin basic design while not needing much change in the blueprint.
- Privacy: Stairs won’t provide you privacy like the ladder. Whenever you are at the loft but you want privacy, at that time you need only to lift up the ladder. No matter what ladder is it, either rope ladder or any traditional ladder. It will undoubtedly give you additional privacy.
- Less Weight: Weight will be a major concern, whether you have to shift your tiny house. Heavy metal stairs or wooden stairs will be bulky. It will consequently increase the weight as well.
When you design your tiny house, you must have to think about all of the options. You have to consider all options to save weight and storage. Larger than the pros and cons, it will not be any problem rather than the calculation of the overall condition. The only option is choosing a ladder in this situation.
Why to Choose Stairs?
- Absolute Safety: Stairs provide absolute safety which ladders cannot provide. When you feel sleepy or intoxicated, at that moment the ladder will not be suitable for using it. Plus if you have elderly relatives staying with you, the ladder is very difficult to climb up. Or for physically impaired people, ladders are impossible to climb stairs. In all these cases, you or your family members stress freely and use stairs without any safety problems.
- Possible Storage: Another excellent thing about the stair is that you will get extra space for making possible storage. Conversely, ladders will take up spaces but you will never turn these into storage areas. Also, you can find many designs for stairs that would be transformed into drawers, cubby holes, or cabinets easily. You can use these areas for further storage needs.
- Kid and Pet Friendly: Ladders are always dangerous for kids and pets. They may hurt themselves by the end of the ladder. If you use a staircase instead of ladders, your kids and pets never have to face any risk. So, stairs are safe for your kids and pets.
- More Seating: You can use the staircase as a seat if you simply add a pillow or cushion on each step. It will give a space for sitting and reading something. Even you can even host your guests on it. You may also lay down on it and enjoy yourself.
Thrilling Ladder and Stair Designs:
Are you yet confused about choosing between ladders or stairs? The good news is that before getting the final touching of your tiny house, you can negate it with experimental designs. So, the battle of tiny house stairs vs ladders will not bother you anymore. That’s why we put some designs for you so that you can easily get more ideas.
We will discuss with you a basic ladder design that will slant partially from the space of the loft towards the ground floor by adding additional safety in the design. The great thing about this design is that it absolutely hangs off an axis together with the loft, providing you to drag it up. Furthermore, it will save additional spaces when you don’t use it.
More Recommendations for Fold-up slanted ladder for Tiny House:
Secondly, we will discuss a ladder that comes from the tiny house named The Orchard House. It provides a really thrilling design that adopts both sliding and folding widgets. Whenever you have to store it, you start foldup the first leg up behind the ladder and locking it back. Then it can be pushed opposing the wall and glide it at the side.
More Recommendations for Fold-Slide ladder for Tiny House:
Along with saving spaces as much as possible and if you do not have any problems with physical ability, you may try this design for your ladder. And you may build the ladder ranks into the wall which allows you to climb up but not taking up any additional storage space. Although, it is not recommended for kids and older people. But if you are a young dweller, you should definitely try this.
More Recommendations for Wall ladder for Tiny House:
Slide-in storage staircase:
Another staircase design is very famous for the tiny house named “The Millennial Tiny House”. This design adopts a staircase method commonly known as the Tansu design. In that specific design cubby, storage holes are combined with the staircase. Nevertheless, it is not a perfect Tansu staircase as it glides into the wall below the loft.
This is a wonderful staircase in which steps curving near the pole that sets off to the loft. This provides you to save the space whenever you need, although still allowing additional safety while climbing up.
Our recommendation for spiral sraircase:
When you need to save the spaces but do not want to curve around the spiral staircase. In that case, you can think of building skinny stairs that are pushed against the side of the wall. For additional safety purposes, you may install a railing of rope together with the side to grab and add panels around the steps.
If you want to know more elaborately about the tiny house’s floor plans, you may read this book!
This is all about tiny house stairs vs ladders. It completely depends on you whether you choose stairs or ladders. The essential aspect is that every portion of your small spaces should be perfect for your family members. You can switch this alternatively whether you don’t absolutely feel it. Always keep in mind that, there are no specific plans to follow in your tiny house. Making the appropriate choice is most important for your tiny living house. The stairs and ladders both have individual pros and cons and have also appropriate tweaks and decisions. You have to select a style that fits you most and fulfill your want.
And, if you love any of our recommended products, then please feel free to order and buy on Amazon. We always try to recommend the best product for your particular requirement.